Abbey Dore, or Dore, is a parish, union place, and village, 2 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 13 south-west from Hereford, 14 west from Ross, and about 138 from London, in Webtree hundred, Weobley rural deanery, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. Petty sessions are held here at the police station, and it is a union of 27 parishes and townships in Hereford, viz.: Abbey Dore, Bacton, Craswall, Dulas, Ewyas Harold, Kenderchurch or Howton. Kentchurch, Kilpeck, Kingstone, Llancillo, Llanveynoe, Longtown, Madley, Michaelchurch Eskley, Newton, Orcop, Peterchurch, Rowlstone, St. Devereux, St. Margaret, Thruxton, Tiberton, Treville, Turnastone, Vowchurch, Walterstone and Wormbridge. It is situated on the river Dore, which is celebrated for its trout, and from which the parish derives it name; it is also in the Golden Valley, and near the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. The church of St. Mary is a very large and handsome old stone building, with fine square tower in the Norman style, in good repair; it formerly belonged to the Cistercian Abbey, founded here in the reign of King Stephen by Robert Ewais; it has a spacious nave and chancel, north and south aisles, porch, font, and three beautiful stained glass windows, a monument to Robert Ewais, the founder, one to General Clifford, one to a Knight Templar, and several other monuments and tablets, and a remarkable stone coffin, which was found under the church, Date of register, 1634. The living is a rectory, worth £680 yearly, with residence; the Rev. Josiah James, M. A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The representatives of the late Mr. Hickford, of Gloucestershire, have the next presentation to this living. There is a united National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £7 10s. yearly. The population in 1861 was 551; the acreage is 5,390. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is clay and sandstone. There are charities of about £40 yearly value. It is in Hereford county court district.
Upper and Lower Jury. Blackmoor, The Grange, Hill, Newbrook, Tanhouse, Woodwards, Cockyard, Carey’s Gate, Upper House, and Blackbush are farms.
Parish. Clerk, James Barnett Higley
James Rev. Josiah, M.A., J.P., Parsonage
Lewis Capt. Thomas Frecke, Abbey Dore court
Barnett Fanny (Miss), farmr. Low. Jury
Blunsdon William Stafford, superintendent of police
Clive Archer, farmer, The Grange
Collins Samuel, farmer, Blackbush farm
Davis Thomas, mason
Davis Thomas, shoemaker
Giles Edward, carpenter & builder
Gwillim John, farmer, Blackmoor
Hopkins Richard, farmer, Tanhouse
Ladmore Edwin, farmer, Low.House frm
Mathews William, farmer, Newbrook
Powell Phillip, farmer, Carey’s gate
Price Clement, farmer, Woodwards farm
Price John, farmer, Hill farm
Probert Rd. farmer, Upper House farm
Sayce Theophilus, farmer, Upper Jury
Wall Robert, farmer, Coekyard
Post Office. — James Barnett Higley, receiver. Letters received through Hereford at 11.15 a.m.; dispatched at 2.15 p.m. Tile nearest money order office is at Kentchurch
Union Workhouse, William Johnson, master; Mrs. Susan Johnson, matron; Rev. Charles John Westropp, chaplain; James Lane, esq. house surgeon; Thomas Lewis Ewias Harold & John G. Price Longtown, relieving officers
Public Officers: — Board of Guardians, Archer Clive, esq. chairman; Rev. Charles Probert, vice-chairman; Nicholas Lanwarne, esq. clerk. Board days every alternate monday.
Registrars to the Union, N. Lanwarne, esq. superintendent, Hereford; (births, deaths & marriages) John Price, Clodock; (births & deaths) James Jones Madley & Thomas Lewis, Ewyas Harold
Superintendent of Police, William Stafford Blunsdon
National School, James Barnett Higley, master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.