Bredwardine is an ancient parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1723
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Bredwardine
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Bredwardine, a village and a parish in the district of Hay, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Wye, adjacent to the line of the Hereford and Brecon railway, 7 ½ miles E by N of Hay; and has a post-office under Hereford. The parish comprises 2,245 acres. Real property, £3,147. Pop., 420. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. Bredwardine Castle, now a ruin, was the seat of the Bredwardine family; one of whom was Archbishop of Canterbury in 1349. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Brobury, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £370. Patron, the Rev. N. D. A. Newton. The church is an old structure, of nave and chancel, with a tower, and is in good condition. A charily to the poor, bequeathed by George Jarvis, Esq., who died in 1793, yields £1,253 a-year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bredwardine, 13 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 409
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hay
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Weobley
- Poor Law Union: Hay
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury