Last Updated on

St Cuthbert's church
St Cuthbert’s church An island church – it is surrounded by roads.The copyright on this image is owned by M J Richardson and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

By 1974 St. Cuthbert’s was redundant and sold to the Harpur Trust who subsequently presented it to the Polish Community of Bedford who renamed it as the Polish Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and St. Cuthbert.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Cuthbert

Chapels of ease:

  • Christ Church, Goldington Road (originally built in 1883 in Castle Road)

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1607
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Moravians; as well as the Primitive Episcopal

Parishes adjacent to Bedford St. Cuthbert

 

St. Cuthbert Parish Registers 1602 – 1812

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bedford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Bedford
  • Poor Law Union: Bedford
  • Hundred: Bedford Borough
  • Province: Canterbury