Last Updated on
Alternative names: Alvesdiston
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
Parish registers: 1592; see also Broad Chalke
Bishop’s Transcripts: 1624
Parishes adjacent to Alvediston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALVESDISTON, or Alvediston, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the Avon, under White sheet-hill, 4 miles SSE of Tisbury r. station, and 8 E of Shaftesbury. Post Town, Broad Chalk under Salisbury. Acres, 2,531. Real property, with Berwick-St. John and Tollard-Royal, £7,280. Pop. 267. Houses, 56. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £82. Patron, the Vicar of Broad Chalk. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alvediston, or Alvesdiston, a parish in the division of Hindon, union of Tisbury, county of Wilts. Living, a vicarage not in charge, subordinate to the rectory of Broad Chalk, in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury. Pop., in 1801, 217; in 1831, 239. Houses 52. Acres 2,400. A. P. £2,334. Poor rates, in 1837. £90.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alvesdiston, 7 miles S.E. Hindon. P. 263
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Tisbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Tisbury
- Hundred: Chalk
- Province: Canterbury