Alton Barnes, Wiltshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Alton Berners
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1592
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605; 1609; 1665
Parishes adjacent to Alton Barnes
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALTON-BARNES, or Alton-Berners, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, near Wans Dyke, 7 miles E of Devizes r. station. Post town, Pewsey under Marlborough. Acres, 1,053. Real property, £1,520. Pop., 177. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £294. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alton-Barnes, or Alton-Berners, a parish in the division and union of Devizes, Wiltshire; 44 miles west by north from Pewsey. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Wilts and dio. of Salisbury; rated at £6 18s. 11½d. ; gross income £311. In the patronage of New College, Oxford. There is a small daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 83; in 1831, 138. Houses 25. Acres 250. A. P. £959. Poor rates, in 1837, £40. This parish is intersected by the Avon canal.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alton-Barnes, 7 miles S.W. Marlborough. P. 167.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Alton Barnes 1597-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)
- Province: Canterbury