Teigngrace is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1684
Parishes adjacent to Teigngrace
- Bovey Tracey
- Chudleigh Knighton
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Teigngrace (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbot, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Newton-Bushell; containing 180 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great western road from Exeter to Plymouth, and on the banks of the river Teign. The Stover canal and railway, constructed here by the Templer family, facilitate the exportation of potters’-clay found in the neighbourhood, and of granite from extensive quarries near High Tor, which belong to the Duke of Somerset. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 9. 4 ½., and in the gift of the Duke: the tithes have been commuted for £170, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a handsome edifice in the English style, surmounted by a spire, and furnished with an excellent organ; it was rebuilt in 1787, by J. and G. Templer, Esqrs., and the Rev. John Templer, brothers, and among other monuments of that family, it contains one to the memory of Charles, who perished in the wreck of the Halsewell East Indiaman, on the Dorsetshire coast, in 1786. About £20 per annum, derived from land, are applied partly to the support of persons tenanting 5 almshouses lately built, and partly to the support of a parochial school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Moreton
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Teignbridge
- Province: Canterbury