Quinton Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Quinton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Quinton was transferred from Gloucestershire to Warwickshire in 1935. It is generally now referred to as Lower Quinton.
Other places in the parish include: Admington, Admington and Lark Stoke, Upper Quinton, and Lower Quinton.
Parish church: St Swithin
Parish registers begin: 1547
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Quinton
- Marston Sicca
- Clifford Chambers
- Preston on Stour
- Weston on Avon
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
QUINTON, a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour and county of Gloucester; under Meon hill, and adjacent to Warwickshire, 1 ¾ mile E. by S. of Long Marston r. station, and 5½ S by W of Stratford-on-Avon. It contains the village of Lower Q, and the hamlets of Upper Q. and Admington; and its post town is Long Marston, under Stratford-on-Avon. Acres, 4, 800. Real property, £7, 239. Pop., 557. Houses, 134. The manor belongs to Magdalen college, Oxford. Q. House is the seat of J. Hyatt, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £70. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is a stone edifice with tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
Admington, or Adderminton, a hamlet in Quinton parish, Gloucester; 6 miles NE of Chipping-Campden.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850
Admington, in Quinton par. P. 196.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845
Admington, a hamlet, in the parish of Quinton, union of Shipston, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E division of the county of Gloucester, 6¼ miles (NE by N) from Chipping-Campden; containing 197 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840
Admington, or Adderminton, a hamlet in the parish of Queinton, Gloucestershire; 6 ¼ miles north-east from Chipping-Camden. Pop., in 1801, 147; in 1831. 177. Houses 39.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Admington and Lark Stoke, Poll Book 1834
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
Admington and Lark Stoke in Quinton Parish
|Eden, William||Admington||50/. renter||Admington|
|Holland, Corbett||Bricklehampton||rents of land||Admington|
|Hughes, Richard||Admington||50/. renter||ditto|
Marriages at Quinton 1548 to 1812
Note. – The Register books of this parish form an interesting series. The Marriages are contained in five volumes. The oldest of these is a parchment, in a flexible binding, and consists of 68 ½ leaves, measuring 13 by 1.8 inches. It is very beautifully written in the handwriting of Henry Hornby, Vicar 1538-1634. The gaps are very few, and the entries in English. They include several documents, including more than one licence to eat meat in Lent. Records of the rehanging and recasting of the bells in 1621, releading the “centre ile” 1624, other repairs to roof and windows 1629, and copies of a deed of Dorothy, Abbess of Powliesworth, giving particulars of the building and enfeofment of the Vicarage house, temp. Henry VI and another deed relating to certain church lands in the common fields, dated 1 June 1628.
Volume II, is, like the above, a parchment book in a flexible binding, and consists of eighteen leaves, measuring 12.5 by 7.75 inches. The leaves are many of them loose, but otherwise it is in good condition, though in places the ink is faded.
Volume III, is, like the last, of parchment, and contains the Marriages from 1705-41. It has 26 leaves and two small portions of leaves, and measures 14 by 6 inches. The handwriting is in places peculiar, and here and there much faded.
Volume IV, is, like the last, of parchment, and also resembles it in having a stiff cover. It contains but few Marriages, 1742-54.
Volumes V and VI are official folios, of paper.
The manors, hamlets, etc. of Quinton Parish are Admington, Meon, Over and Nether Quinton, and Radbrooke, all of which will be found mentioned in the Register.
The Marriages have been transcribed by the Rev. J. H. Bloom, and are now printed under his supervision by permission of the Rev. Edmund Cumberland, vicar.
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews.
Marriages at Quinton 1548 to 1812 – Archive.org
The following newspapers cover the Quinton area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury