Abbots Morton Littlebury’s Worcestershire Directory 1879
Abbot’s Morton is a parish situate 12 miles E. of Worcester, 9 N. of Evesham, and 6 S.W. of Alcester; is in the eastern division of the county, Lower Blakenhurst hundred, Alcester union, Pershore petty sessional division and county court district, Inkberrow polling district, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and Feckenham rural deanery. The population in 1861 was 245, and in 1871, 213; inhabited houses, 49; families or separate occupiers, 57. The acreage is 1,420; annual rateable value, £2,033. The soil is a stiff clay with marly subsoil, producing good wheat, barley, and beans. Two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture; surface elevated, and the brook Piddle runs through the parish. Mr. Henry Perks and the trustees of the late Mr. Thomas Cowley are lords of the manor, and besides them the principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Rev. Thomas Walker (glebe), Mrs. Walker, Mr. William Perks, and Mr. Joseph Partington. This parish was given towards building the monastery at Evesham as early as the year 708, and here the abbots had one of their country manor-houses. The site of the “Court Close,” near the church, with traces of the moat and some remains of old timber structures in the village, are objects of antiquarian interest. The church of St. Peter, which is chiefly of the Decorated style, having a north chapel and western tower embattled, contains some stained glass of the date 1590, representing the history of David and the Giant. The building has been well restored. It was one of those churches in the celebrated vale of Evesham which formed the subject of litigation between the abbots of that house and the bishops of Worcester, which ended in the bishops’ jurisdiction being ousted from them all except from Abbot’s Morton. The parish register begins with the year 1728. The living is a rectory, value about £200, in the patronage of George James Alexander Walker, Esq., of Norton-juxta-Kempsey. The tithes were commuted for land in 1802; the glebe comprises 167 acres, with a house. The Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., St. John’s College, Cambridge, the present rector, was instituted in 1861. A national schoolroom at Goom’s hill was built in 1844 by subscription, and the late rector presented the site. It is under Government and Diocesan inspection.
Postal Regulations. – Letters are received through Redditch. The letter-box is cleared at 4.40 p.m. Alcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Redditch.
Parish Church (St. Peter’s). – Rev. Thomas Walker, M.A., Rector; Messrs William Edward Lyes and John Skinner, Churchwardens; Daniel Hewlett, Sexton.
National School (mixed), Goom’s hill. – Miss Abigail Harris, Mistress.
Walker Rev. Thomas, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Ballard Thomas, farmer, Spirt
Briney George, farmer
Bullock Wm., shoeing and general smith
Clinton Solomon, boot and shoe maker
Dowding John, farmer, boot and shoe maker, and shopkeeper
Harris Miss A., schoolmist, Goom’s hill
Harris Miss Miriam Jane, shopkeeper
Hay William, pig butcher
Hewlett Daniel, parish sexton
Lyes William Edward, farmer, Rectory farm; res., Ab Lench, near Evesham
Partington Joseph, farmer and landowner; res., Rous Lench
Pugh Henry, farm bailiff, Low farm
Roberts John, farmer
Roberts Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Spirt
Skinner John, farmer, High house
Smith Herbert, farmer
Tipping John Robert, Red Lion Inn, and farmer, Goom’s hill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.