Last Updated on
Abberton is a small village and parish, situated about 9 miles E. of Worcester, and 6 N. from Pershore, containing in 1851 a population of 80 inhabitants.
The village, which lies on an eminence, is one of the most pleasantly situated in the neighbourhood, commanding very extensive views of the Bredon Hills, the Vale of Evesham, the Lench Woods and the surrounding country. At the time of the dissolution of religious houses, Abberton came into the possession of the Sheldon family, who held it till it was purchased by William Laslett, Esq., Member for Worcester, who resides at the Hall.
The Church is a small, ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and small tower, and is supposed to be of twelfth century. The style is early English. Some of the windows are in the perpendicular style, but the chancel east window is more modern. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of William Laslett, Esq. Rev. Francis Best, B.A., Rector; Mr. Samuel Tidmarsh, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Laslett William, Esq., M.P., Abberton Hall
Badger George, farmer, Lower Farm
Farley Timothy, miller, Abberton Mill
Holmes James, Farmer
Perks George, farmer, Manor Farm
Purser Jonathan, farmer
Tidmarsh Samuel, Parish Clerk
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855