Abberton is a small parish and pleasant village, situate on the road between Worcester and Stratford-on-Avon, being 11 miles E. of Worcester, 8 S.W. of Alcester, and 6 N. of Pershore; it is in the eastern division of the county, Pershore hundred, union, petty sessional division, and county court district, Inkberrow polling district, Upton Snodsbury highway district. Wheat, barley, beans, and roots are the main produce of the soil, which is sand and clay, with quarries of sandstone; limestone and coal are also supposed to exist, and there are mineral springs, the waters of which, bitter and cathartic, containing steel mixed with salt, are supposed to be little inferior to those of Epsom or Cheltenham. The area of the parish is 1,001 acres; annual rateable value, £1,341. the population in 1861 was 82; in 1871, 99; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 22. Formerly the parish belonged to Pershore monastery, and at the Dissolution it fell into the hands of the Sheldons, and ancient family of this county and Warwickshire, who resided at the manor-house till 1840, when it became the property of William Laslett, Esq., who has made it his principal residence from that time to the present. Mr. Laslett for many years represented the city of Worcester in Parliament. He is lord of the manor and owner of the parish of Abberton, as also part of the adjoining parishes of Bishampton, Kington, Flyford, Dormstone, Naunton Beauchamp, North Piddle, and Grafton. He has also large landed possession in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire, and is lord of the manor of Bacton in the former county, and patron of the livings of Abberton, Flyford, Kington, Dormstone, Hinton, and Bacton. The church, chiefly of the Early English and Perpendicular styles, has two bells and a Norman font. The parish register begins with 1661. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted at £174, and there are 2 ½ acres of glebe. The rector is the Rev. Henry J. Knight, B.A., of Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1862, and resides at Flyford Flavell rectory. There are 2 acres of land in Flyford, the rental of which is applied to repairing the church of Abberton. W. Laslett, Esq., gives £5 yearly to the poor, and lets small allotments of land for their benefit. A school board for the united district of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton, Kington, Dormstone, and North Piddle, was formed October 28th, 1874, and the newly-erected school at Flyford was opened in March 1877. In addition to the numerous charitable gifts which, with a magnificence which is an honour to the age, Mr. Laslett has bestowed upon the city of Worcester, he has recently conveyed to trustees a landed states of 2,200 acres at Hinton-on-the-Green, near Evesham, but in Gloucestershire, the revenues to be applied to charitable uses. He has also directed that a sum not exceeding £1,500 shall be expended in restoring or rebuilding the parish church of Abberton. Abberton Hall, the seat of William Laslett, Esq., J.P., over looks a fine park, and commands an extensive view of the Bredon Hills, Lench woods, and the vale of Evesham.
Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive from Pershore about 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.25 p.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. Henry J. Knight, B.A., Rector; Mr. Richard Henry Tomlinson, Churchwarden; George Roberts, Sexton.
Abberton United District School Board. – William Laslett, Esq., Chairman; John Lloyd Bozward, Esq., The Cedars, Henwick, Worcester, Clerk.
Carriers to Worcester. – Atkins on Saturdays.
Laslett William, Esq. (J.P. for Worcestershire, and for the city of Worcester; barrister of the Inner Temple), Abberton hall
Agricultural & Commercial
Bluck George, cottage farmer
Brooks Charles, farmer, The Ketches
Farley Timothy, miller, Abberton mill
Horne Joseph, farmer
Niblet Mrs., carpenter and shopkeeper
Purser Jonathan, farmer, Lower farm
Roberts George, parish sexton
Tomlinson Richard Hy., farmer, churchwarden, and waywarden, Manor farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.