Bettws Disserth Radnorshire Wales Family History Guide
Bettws Disserth is a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales.
Alternative names: Betws Diserth
Parish church: St Mary (rebuilt in 1872)
Parish registers begin: 1731
School: the children of this parish attend the school at Franks Bridge
Parishes Near to Bettws Disserth
- Llanbadarn Fawr
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BETTWS-DISSERTH, a parochial chapelry in the district of Builth and county of Radnor; on the river Edwy, 7 miles SW of New Radnor, and 12 W of Kington r. station. Post Town, New Radnor. Acres, 1,885. Real property, £810. Pop., 130. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Disserth, in the diocese of St. David’s. The church is excellent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
BETTWS-DISERTH, a parish in the hund. of Colwyn, union of Builth, county of Radnor, South Wales; 7 miles west-south-west of New Radnor. Living, a curacy not in charge, subordinate to the rectory of Diserth. A school is generally kept here during the summer months. This parish lies near the source of the river Eddw, and embraces an area of 1,800 acres. Pop., in 1821, 128; in 1831, 141. Houses 22. A. P. £468. Poor rates, in 1837, £79.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
BETTWS-DISSERTH (BETTWS-DISERTH), a parish, in the union of Builth, hundred of Colwyn, county of Radnor, South Wales, 7 miles (N. E.) from Builth; containing 141 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated near the source of the river Edw, or Edwy, and on the turnpike road leading from Kington to Builth. It is of considerable extent: the soil is various, but in general fertile and productive, and the substratum in some parts of the parish has been thought to consist of coal; but an endeavour to procure this fossil, made some time since, on a farm called Tyncoed, was unattended with success, and though a shaft was sunk to a considerable depth, no indications of coal were discovered. The surrounding scenery, though generally pleasing, is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature from that which prevails through out this part of the principality. The living is a rectory not in charge, consolidated with that of Disserth. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A school is generally kept during the summer months. This is one of the parishes from which a child is to be annually apprenticed, under the will of the Rev. Rees Powell, of Boughrood, with a premium of £5. Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis, in 1746, bequeathed a rent-charge of £2, on a farm called Gwern-Vawr, in this parish, to be given to the poor at the discretion of the minister and six of the principal inhabitants. A rent-charge of £1 was bequeathed by an unknown benefactor; and Elizabeth Jones, in 1746, bequeathed £40 in money, of which the interest was paid for some years by the executor, but was afterwards discontinued. There are some sulphureous springs in the parish, but they are not strongly impregnated, nor are they used for medicinal purposes. The total expenditure of the parochial rates, for the year ending March 25th, 1837, amounted to £83, of which £46 was for the relief of the poor, £27 towards county rates, and £10 for incidental charges.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
Baptisms 1731-1812, burials 1731-1812, marriages 1731-1752
Banns, marriages 1755-1812
Marriages (one entry) 1964
Overseers’ of the Poor
Assessment book 1832-1837
- County: Radnorshire / Powys
- Civil Registration District: Builth
- Diocese: St. David
- Rural Deanery: Elwel
- Poor Law Union: Builth
- Hundred: Colwyn
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Colwyn
- Couty court District: Builth