Last Updated on
Beguildy is a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales
Alternative names: Bugeildy, Llanfihangel-Beguildy
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
The parish comprises four hamlets, namely, Beguildy, Crug y Byddar, Mudwalledd, and Pennant and part of the borough of Knucklas.
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodists at Velindre
Parishes adjacent to Beguildy
Historical Descriptions of Beguildy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BEGUILDY, or Llanfihangel-Beguildy, a township and a parish in Knighton district, Radnor. The township lies on the river Teme, 8 miles NW of Knighton r. station. Real property, £2,210. The parish consists of two divisions, Lower and Upper; and includes the townships of Creebyther, Mydwalled, Beguildy, and Pennant, and part of the borough of Knucklas; and its Post Town is Felindre, under Knighton. Acres, 16,645. Real property, £6,868. Pop., 1,203. Houses, 214. The surface is hilly; and most of it is moor or pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £16 4. Patron, the Bishop of St. David’s. Charities, £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
Beguildy (Lower and Upper), a parish in the hund, and union of Knighton, county of Radnor, South Wales ; 7½ miles north-west of Knighton, on the river Teme. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of St David’s, valued at £7 15s. 7½ d., and in the parliamentary returns at £142 9s. 6d; gross income £164; in the patronage of the bishop of St David. There are two daily schools here, one of which is endowed with £10 per annum. Pop., in 1821, 974; in 1831, 1,043. Houses 186. A. P. £4,124. Poor rates, in 1837, £451.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
Beguildy (Bugeildy), a parish, in the union and hundred of Knighton, county of Radnor, South Wales, 6½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Knighton, comprising the upper and lower divisions, and containing 1043 inhabitants, of which number, 591 are in the upper, and 452 in the lower, division. This parish is situated on the river Teme, and, towards the north, borders on the county of Montgomery: it is in general mountainous, there is a long narrow tract of great fertility, affording good pasturage for cattle, and on the hills are fed vast numbers of sheep, which form the principal dependence of the farmers, very little of the land comparatively being in a state of tillage. The neighbourhood abounds with pleasing and picturesque scenery, and the higher grounds command extensive and finely varied prospects over the counties of Radnor, Montgomery, and Salop. Part of the borough of Cnwclas is within the parish, the remainder being in that of Heyop; and the court-house in which the burgesses of that place are elected is situated in the township of Beguildy. The parish comprises four hamlets, namely, Beguildy, Crug y Byddar, Mudwalledd, and Pennant; which are distinct as regards the collection of the county stock and the repair of the roads, but are united for the maintenance of the poor. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king’s books at £7. 15. 7½.; present net income, £164; patron, Bishop of St. David’s; impropriators, Dean and Chapter of St. David’s. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of a nave and chancel, but is not remarkable for any architectural character. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Velindre, in this parish. The free school is endowed with a rent-charge of £10, given by Lord Robert Wharton, on an estate called Maesgwynne, formerly the property of the noble family of Harley, but sold by the late Earl of Oxford. There is also a private pay school, and a Sunday school in which about thirty children are gratuitously taught. The Rev. John Davies, in 1741, bequeathed £100, now secured on a tenement called Pen y Garragl, to poor housekeepers of this parish; the Rev. Vavasour Griffiths, in 1741, bequeathed £20; and there are also some other charitable donations and bequests for distribution among the poor. Here are the remains of an ancient British fortification, said to have been occupied by the renowned Uthyr Pendragon; and at the foot of a hill is a place called the Bloody Field, where a battle is said to have been fought. On the south-western border of the parish is the site of Cnwclas castle, on the summit of a conical artificial mound. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1836, amounted to £533. 17., of which £419 was for the relief of the poor, £80. 13. towards county rates, and £34. 4. for incidental charges.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
Family History Links
- County: Radnorshire / Powys
- Civil Registration District: Knighton
- Diocese: St David
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Knighton
- Province: Canterbury