Kingswood nr Wotton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Kingswood (near Hawkesbury), Kingswood (near Wotton), Kingswood (near Wooton under Edge), Kingswood (near Wotton under Edge)
Kingswood was formerly in Wilts but in October 1844 it was annexed to Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary, Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1598
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Schools: a Free school for boys also an Infant school.
There were woollen cloth factories at Kingswood Mills and Nind Mills and a brewer.
Parishes adjacent to Kingswood nr Wotton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSWOOD, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands 1 mile NE of Charfield r. station, carries on manufactures in woollen cloth; and has a post office under Wootton-under-Edge. The parish comprises 2,350 acres. Real property, £6,443. Pop. in 1851, 1,227; in 1861, 1,061. Houses, 268. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the cloth manufacture. The property is divided. The land anciently formed part of an extensive forest, superintended by the constable of Bristol castle. The manor belongs now to R. H. Blagden Hale, Esq. A Cistertian priory, a cell to Tintern abbey, was founded here, in 1139, by William de Berkeley; was removed, for a time, to Rodmorden and Tutbury; was re-founded here in 1170; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Thynnes; and remains of it still exist near the parish church. woollen cloth factories are at Kingswood Mills and Nind Mills; and there is a brewery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £99. Patrons, the Parishioners. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Berkeleys and others. There are an Independent chapel, a free school with £50 a year, and charities £149.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
KINGSWOOD, a parish in the hundred of CHIPPENHAM, county of WILTS, though locally in the hundred of Grumbald’s Ash, county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Dursley, containing 1391 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Inhabitants. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is watered by the Middle Avon, on the banks of which river are several extensive cloth manufactories. A free school for teaching children to read and write was endowed with £50 per annum, in 1674, by John Mayo, Esq. An abbey of Cistercian monks from Tintern was founded here, in 1139, by William de Berkeley, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, but the society afterwards removed to Tetbury. In 1170 they once more removed, and settled at Mireford in Kingswood, near the old site, and at the dissolution possessed a revenue of £254. 11. 2. The only remains of the monastic buildings are the foundations of the two churches and a gate-house of the gable form, with a range of ruins on each side.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Marriages at Kingswood 1598-1812
King’s Wood Gell and Bradshaw 1820 – It is assumed that this is the Kingswood nr. Wootton as the directory gives no indication as to which Kingswood it is!
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Dursley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Dursley
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Dursley