Old Radnor Radnorshire Wales Family History Guide

Old Radnor a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales

Alternative names: Pencraig, Maesyfed Hen.

Parish church: St. Stephen

The parish contains the townships of Lower Harpton, electorally in Hereford, part of Upper Harpton, and all Ednol, all Walton and Womaston, all Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Burfa, and all Kinnerton, Salford, and Badland

Chapels of ease: Ednol and Kinnerton

Parishes adjacent to Old Radnor

  • New Radnor
  • Llanfihangel-nant-Melan
  • Gladestry
  • Discoed
  • Presteigne
  • Knill
  • Kington
  • Huntington

Historical Descriptions

Old Radnor

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RADNOR. (Old), a village, a township, and a parish, in Presteigne district, Radnorshire. The village stands on a rocky height, 2¾ miles ESE of New Radnor and 3¾ WNW of Kington r. station. The township contains also the hamlet of Burlingjobb, and bears the name of O. R. and B. Real property, £1, 960. Pop., 350. Houses, 79. The parish contains also the townships of Lower Harpton, electorally in Hereford, part of Upper Harpton, and all Ednol, all Walton and Womaston, all Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Burfa, and all Kinnerton, Salford, and Badland; and is partly within New Radnor borough. Post-town, Kington. Acres, exclusive of Lower Harpton, 10,069. Real property, inc. of the rest of Upper Harpton, £11, 536. Pop. of the parish1, 349. Houses, 292. Pop. of the part in N. R. borough, 1, 264. Houses, 277. The property is divided amongvery few. Harpton Court is the seat of the Lewis family. The hills of Old Radnor, Stanner, Hanter, and Worzel consist of rocks similar to the hypersthene of Coruisk in Skye, and possess much interest for geologists. Charles I., when fleeing from Cromwell, in 1645, supped with a yeoman at Stones. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Kinnerton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £195. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church stands on a hill; is ancient, large, and good; has a tower; and contains an ancient font, a carved oak screen, and monuments of the Lewises. The p. curacy of Evenjobb is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £40a year, and charities £19.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

RADNOR (OLD), or MAESYVED HEN, a parish, comprising the townships of Ednol, Evenjobb with Bareland, Harpton, Kinnarton with Badland, Old Radnor, and Walton, in the liberties of the borough of New Radnor, union of Kington, county of Radnor, South Wales, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from New Radnor; containing 1421 inhabitants. This place by the Welsh is also called Pencraig, which name it derives from the situation of its church on the summit of a rock. It was anciently of some importance, and had a castle, which Sir Richard Colt Hoare identifies, but not satisfactorily, with that mentioned by Giraldus Cambrensis, under the appellation of “Cruker,” but of which no vestiges can be discovered. In the Iter Carolinum it is noted that, “on 6th August, 1645, Charles I. went from Brecon to Gwernevit, the house of Sir H. Williams, to dinner ; he supped at Old Radnor, at a yeoman’s house, the court being dispersed ; on the 7th he proceeded to Ludlow.” The house here which gave temporary refuge to that unfortunate monarch is called “The Stones,” and stands about half a mile to the west of the church. The parish, which is of very great extent, comprising by computation about 7160 acres, whereof 6020 are inclosed, and 1140 allotments of common, mountains, and woods, is intersected by a stream called Somergill, and also by the Hendwell, a brook issuing from a small lake of that name, which abounds with excellent trout and eels. The surface is principally flat, though partly undulated, and in some places rising into hills of considerable elevation ; the lands, with the exception of some tracts of common and some wood, are in a good state of cultivation ; and the soil is in general a fertile loam, well adapted for the growth of corn, and affording pasturage for sheep and cattle. In the southern part of the parish exists an extensive deposite of transition limestone, from which a very valuable supply of lime is obtained. The parish is intersected by the turnpike-road from Hereford through Kington to Aberystwith. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified; and the parish is enlivened with several gentlemen’s seats, among which are, Harpton Court, the residence of the Right Hon. Thomas Frankland Lewis, a handsome mansion, in grounds tastefully laid out; Evenjobb, Womaston, and Newcastle Court, all good houses pleasantly situated, and forming interesting features in the scenery of the place.

The living is a vicarage, with the chapel of Kinnerton annexed, rated in the king’s books at £35. 1.0½., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. It was originally a rectory, but was made a vicarage in 1534, when the rectorial tithes and patronage were given to the Dean and Chapter, who at present are in possession of all the tithes of the parish, and pay a small stipend to the vicar, who is further supported by the interest of £800 parliamentary grant, and whose net annual income, returned in 1835 at £108, was augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in 1841, with £63 per annum, out of the fund raised by the suspension of certain canonries and prebends. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1330, (embracing a portion of Herefordshire,) payable to the Dean and Chapter, and subject to rates, averaging £125; and there is a glebe of three acres, valued at £5 annually. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is a spacious and venerable structure, with a lofty square tower, containing six bells, and consists of a nave, with north and south aisles, and a chancel, separated from the rest by a screen of richly carved oak, which extends across the nave and both the aisles ; the font is of large dimensions, rudely-carved out of a single stone; and on the north side of the chancel stand the re mains of a singular organ case, of large size, elaborately, though somewhat roughly, carved in oak : there are some handsome monuments of modern erection to the family of Lewis, of Harpton. At Ednol and Kinnerton are chapels of ease to the mother church ; in the former of which, however, divine service has for many years been discontinued. There is a place of worship for Independents. Lady Joan Hartstongue bequeathed a house and 50 acres of land at Weythel, in the parish, for the foundation of a school for the gratuitous instruction of children of Old Radnor, Llanvihangel-Nant-Melan, and Gladestry, and the annual income arising from the endowment, which is £32, exclusive of repairs, rates, &c, is regularly appropriated to the support of a school of about 60 children, 54 of whom are educated gratuitously, and the rest paid for by their parents ; a new school-room has been recently erected, the expense of which was defrayed by the sale of the timber and copse wood on the estate. There are also three other day schools, one of which contains about 35 children, of whom from six to ten are paid for by subscription, and the rest by their parents; and in the other two about 45 are taught wholly at their parents’ cost. A Sunday school of about 45 males and females is maintained by a yearly subscription of £5 from a lady. A farm named the Wolfpits, now producing £14 per annum, and a rent- charge of £1 on another, designated Barland, were bequeathed by unknown benefactors to the poor; and Mrs. Cassandra Davis, in 1744, left to those not receiving parochial relief, some land called Broken Bank, of which the proportion for this parish produces £2 per annum, which is regularly paid, together with a bequest of forty shillings per annum, charged on an estate called the Cullenders, a grant of Edward Hughes, in 1680. Among the charities lost, or in abeyance, is a bequest, in 1777, by Thomas Lewis, of Harpton, who directed his executors to purchase stock to secure an annuity for preaching two annual sermons, for which the minister was to receive £1. 1., the clerk 10s., and the sexton 5s.; and also that £2 should be distributed among the deserving poor : he likewise in a codicil bequeathed £50, annually, to be divided among the poor inhabitants, to be paid out of his India Bonds.

Near the church is the site of an ancient house, supposed to have been a nunnery, or more probably the rectory-house; the moat by which it was surrounded is still plainly visible. Within the limits of the parish, and nearly in the centre of the Vale of Radnor, is a singular relic of antiquity, generally thought to be Druidical ; it consists of four stones placed at the angles of a square, each stone being of such vast dimensions that it is difficult to conjecture by what means or for what purpose they were placed there. Their position corresponds precisely with the cardinal points of the compass, the largest being to the south, and the smallest to the north ; and they are ranged symmetrically, as far as their rude shapes will allow. A stone tablet is by some considered to have covered the whole ; but the unequal height of the stones, and their distance from each other, render the supposition improbable. Whatever may have been the object of this monument of a rude age, its destruction is said by Camden to have taken place in the reign of John, when the district was ravaged by Rhys ab Grufydd.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1845

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Radnor, Old, or Pen-Y-Craig, со. Radnor, SW.
P. T. New Radnor (130) 2 m. S. Рoр 1255.

A parish, comprehending fourteen townships, in the liberties of the town of New Radnor, situated upon the southern bank of the Somergill river. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the archdeaconry of Radnor and diocese of St. David’s’; valued in K. B. at 35l. 1s. 0½d.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester cathedral. The church, a venerable edifice, stands upon the summit of a rock, and is ornamented with a lofty tower, containing six clear-toned bells. Within is a richly-carved screen, and several interesting monuments to the family of Lewis, of Harpton. This parish supplies the greater part of the county with lime.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Badland

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

Badland, a joint hamlet, with Kinnerton and Salford, in the parish of Old Radnor, within the liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, North Wales, 2 miles (N.E.) from New Radnor: the population is returned with Kinnerton.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Barland and Burfa

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

Bareland, with Burva, a township, in the parish of Old Radnor, union of Kington, liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales, 3 miles (S.W.) from Presteign; containing, with the townships of Evenjob and Newcastle, 345 inhabitants. It is situated on the border of Herefordshire, and is passed on the west, at the distance of about half a mile, by that remarkable work of the Saxons, Offa’s Dyke. It is assessed jointly with the township of Evenjob for the support of its poor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

Burva, with Bareland, a township, in the parish of Old Radnor, liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales, 5½ miles (E.) from New Radnor: the population is returned with the townships of Evenjobb and Newcastle. This township, situated on the border of Herefordshire, is extremely well wooded. Offa’s Dyke passes through it, near which are the remains of an ancient camp.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842

Borva, a joint township with Bareland, in the parish of Old Radnor, liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales, 5½ miles (E.) from New Radnor: the population is returned with the townships of Evenjobb and Newcastle. This township, situated on the border of Herefordshire, is extremely well wooded. Offa’s Dyke passes through it, near which are the remains of an ancient camp.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.

Burlingjobb

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Burlinjobb, incl. in Old Radnor par.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

Burlingjobb. View from the slopes of ...
Burlingjobb. View from the slopes of Old Radnor Hill (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Burlinjob, with Old Radnor, a township, in the parish of Old Radnor, liberties of the borough of New Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales, 4¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from New Radnor: the population is returned with the township of Old Radnor. The Kington railway commences at the lime-works in this township, proceeds westward to Castle Weir, and then southward until it joins the Hay railway: it was formed under an act obtained in 1818. The old Roman road from Builth to Kington passed between this place and Old Radnor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Bwroa

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bwroa, incl. in Old Radnor parish

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ednol

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ednol, a township in the borough and parish of Old Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales; about 5 miles west of Kington. Houses 6. A.P. £180. Pop., in 1801, 30; in 1831, 45. Poor rates, in 1838, £10 19s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ednol, co. Radnor, S.W.
P. T. Presteign (151) m. Pop. with Pa.

A township in the parish of Old Radnor and borough of Radnor. Here is an ancient chapel.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Evenjobb

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Buroa [sic], a township in the parish of Old Radnor, county of Radnor, South Wales; 5 miles north-west of Kington. Houses 68. A.P. £1,664. Pop., in 1801, 322; in 1831, 369. Poor rates, in 1838, £242 2s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Upper Harpton

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Harpton (Upper), included in Old Radnor parish

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Kelly’s directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1920

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Administration

  • County: Radnorshire / Powys
  • Civil Registration District: Presteigne
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Poor Law Union: Kington
  • Hundred:
  • Province: Canterbury