Last Updated on

Photo of St Breward: Coombe Mill
Photo of St Breward: Coombe Mill. A complex of buildings at the foot of a steep hill now converted for use as holiday accommodation. View of the former miller’s house, looking north. The mill was once powered by a leat from the river Camel, which runs north to south here by Martin Bodman, some rights reserved.

St Breward is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.

Alternative names: Simonward

Other places in the parish include: Lower Lanke.

Parish church: St Breward

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Parishes Adjacent to St Breward

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BREWARD (St.), or Simonward, a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; on the river Lank, under Brown Willey mountain, 7 miles N by E of Bodmin, and 8½ N by W of Bodmin Road r. station. Post Town, St. Tudy, under Bodmin. Acres, 9,237. Real property, £2,860. Pop., 705. Houses, 143. The property is subdivided. The surface is prevailingly Moorish, upland, and rugged; but encloses fine scenes, and commands fine prospects. Brown Willey and Rough Tor mountains figure conspicuously in the landscape. Hanter-Gantick, 1 mile S of the church-town, is a deep romantic valley, sometimes called the Cornish Valley of rocks. Granite is quarried; and slate is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly Norman, and in fair condition.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Breward (St.), or Simonward, 6 m. N.E. Bodmin. P. 724

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Breward (St.), or Simonward, a parish in the hundred of Trigg, county of CORNWALL, 6¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bodmin, containing 554 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king’s books at £8, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is dedicated to St. Bruard. Within this parish are the lofty hills, Rough Tor (by contraction Rowtor), and Brown Willy, from the summits of which there is a view of the English and Bristol channels.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Marriages at St Breward 1558 to 1812

Marriages at St Breward 1558 to 1812 – Archive.org

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Historical Maps

Administration

  • County: Cornwall
  • Civil Registration District: Camelford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Trigg Minor
  • Poor Law Union: Camelford
  • Hundred: Trigg
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs