Abberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Abberton is a small village in Worcestershire, England. In the 1850s, the village had 80 inhabitants, one fourth of this was the local priest’s 19 children. In 1894, the town had a population of 95 and an area of 999 acres (4.04 km2). The village is mentioned in the Cartularium saxonicum in 972 as Eadbrihyincgtun, and is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Edbretintune and as Edbritone, when it was a Berewick, an outlying estate, held by the Church of St Mary of Pershore. The principal house in the village is Abberton Hall.
Church: St. Edburga
The parish register begins with 1661.
A school board for the united district of Abberton, Flyford, Naunton, Kington, Dormstone, and North Piddle, was formed October 28th, 1874, and a school at Flyford was opened in March 1877.
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Abberton
Historical Descriptions of Abberton
The Little Guides 1939
Abberton (4m. NW. Pershore stn.). Old church, chiefly 13th cent., pulled down 1881; new one (St. Eadburh), with chancel, nave, S. porch, tower and spire in 13th cent style, erected on same site. Chalice-shaped font, 12th cent., with band of chevron ornament. Ancient church chest.
Source: The Little Guides, Worcestershire by F. T. S. Houghton. Methuen & Co. Ltd. London. Second edition. 1939.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Abberton, a parish in Pershore district, Worcester, on the river Piddle, 3 miles SSW of Inkberrow, and 4 NNE of Pershore r. station. Post-town, Inkberrow under Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,001. Real property, £1,337. Pop., 82. Houses, 17. The property is all in one estate. There are saline springs, similar to the waters of Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £161. Patron, W. Laslett, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The National Gazetteer 1868
Abberton, a par. in the upper div. of the hund. and union of Pershore, in the co. of Worcester, near Bromsgrove. The living is a discharged rect. in the dioc. of Worcester, val. £161, in. the patron, of W. Laslett. Esq. There is a mineral spring, the water of which is tonic and purgative, and is said to be little inferior to that of Epsom.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abberton, a parish, in the union, and Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 7 miles (N.E. by N.) from Pershore; containing 81 inhabitants. This parish, bounded on the south by a branch of the river Piddle, comprises 990 acres, of which nearly one-half is fine pasture land, much esteemed for its dairy produce. The hall is a large structure, commanding a beautiful panoramic view of the eastern part of the county. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5 8. 1½., and in the patronage of the Sheldon family; net income, £161. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is bitter and cathartic, being somewhat similar to that at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abberton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. and union of Pershore, Worcestershire; 6 miles north-east of Pershore; on a branch of the Avon. — Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 8s. 1½d.; gross income £161. Patrons, in 1835, the Sheldon family, who have long held the manor. Pop., in 1801, 86; in 1831, 90. Houses 17. Acres 1,050. A. P. £1,407. Poor rates, in 1837, £68.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Abberton, co. Worcester.
P. T. Pershore (103) 2 m. Pop. 82.
A parish in the hundred of Pershore; living a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 5l. 8s. 1½d; ann. val. P. R. 119l.; patron [1829) Mrs. Sheldon. This parish contains medicinal springs of the nature of those at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Abberton, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 7 miles (N.E. by N.) from Pershore, containing 82 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry, and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £5. 8. 1½., and endowed with £200 royal bounty. Mrs. Sheldon was patroness in 1808. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is bitter and cathartic, similar to that at Cheltenham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Abberton – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 8 miles E.S.E. from Worcester, and 105 from London; containing 13 inhabited houses. This place is noted for having a medicinal spring, yielding a bitter and cathartic water, similar to that at Cheltenham. The living is a rectory; Rev. E. Herbert, incumbent; instituted 1808; patroness, Mrs. Sheldon. Population, 1801, 86 – 1811, 88 – 1821, 82.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abberton, a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division Worcester, 2 miles from Pershore, 7 from Worcester, and 105 from London; containing 15 houses and 86 inhabitants; is noted for a bitter purging mineral water. The living is a rectory, value 5l. 8s. 1d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty sessional division: Pershore
- County Court District: Pershore
- Polling District: Inkberrow
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury