Last Updated on

Yarkhill is a parish, 7 miles north-west from Ledbury, and 7 ¼ miles north-east from Hereford, in Radlow Hundred, Ledbury Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The living is a discharged vicarage, value £220 per annum, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the Rev. Thomas H. Bird, M.A., is the vicar. The church, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a plain stone building, including a nave and chancel, with a square castellated tower. A neat and commodious vicarage house, composed of brick, with stone dressings, has been recently erected, 10 ½ acres of land is attached. The little river Frome flows through the parish, and drives a corn-mill in its course. The population, in 1851, was 547, and the acreage 1,666. The parochial charities amount to £7 per annum. The soil is a stiff clay producing abundant crops of wheat, beans, and hops.

Letters though Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.

Miscellaneous

Bird Rev. T. H., M.A., Vicarage

Lewis John, parish clerk

Lewis John, wheelwright, Grove

Lewis Thomas, agricultural implement maker, Cotts

Smith Wm., New Inn, Newtown

Wargent Thomas, shoemaker

Farmers

Deem Wm., Little Yarkhill

Hollins Catherine, Green lane

Hall George, Garford

Moore James, Monkbury court

Morris Edward, Middle court

Morris W., Monkhide

Morris John, Monkhide

Pitt John, the Castle

Smith Ann, Grove

Vevers John B., Yarkhill court

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.