Burwarton is a village and parish, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, ten miles from Ludlow, nine from Bridgnorth, and eight and a half north-west from Cleobury Mortimer. The Church of St. Lawrence is a small building in the Norman style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £101 12s., with 19 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Viscount Boyne. A school house for boys and girls was erected in 1864, at the expense of Viscount Boyne. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. This place was a Roman fortified town or village. Burwarton Hall, the seat of Viscount Boyne, lord of the manor, and owner of most of the land, is an elegant mansion in the Italian style, pleasantly situated at the foot of Brown Clee Hill; the park grounds extend to a considerable altitude on the sloping sides of this hill. The soil is clay; subsoil, quartz, gravel, and rock, and most probably iron and coal. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,236 acres, and the population in 1861 was 156: gross estimated rental, £1,170; rateable value, £1,104.
Letters arrive through Bridgnorth.
Boyne Viscount, J. P. Burwarton hall; and 22 Belgrave-square, London, S.W.
Tillerty Nicholas Benjamin, esq., Burwarton hall
Waring Ven. Archdeacon William, M.A.
Bradley John, farmer
Burton James, farmer
Coulton Israel, cowkeeper
Crowe Richard, farmer
Evans John, cowkeeper
Lamb John, farmer
Lane Thomas, cowkeeper
Lloyd Thomas, cowkeeper
Lugg William, Boyne Arms, and farmer
Preece George, carpenter
Whiteman John, farmer
Yapp Sarah, cowkeeper
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871