Cardeston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Cardeston is a parish, 6 miles west from Shrewsbury, and 12 from Welshpool, in the Southern division of the county, Ford division of Ford hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Welshpool. The church of St. Michael is a small stone building, re-erected in 1749. The living is a rectory; composition for tithes, £293 (of which £272 go to the rector, and the remainder to Sir Baldwin Leighton, bart.) yearly, with residence, and about 30 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart. At Wattlesborough is an old moated mansion, now a farm house, in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Bebb, erected by one of the Corbet family, from whom it descended by marriage to the Leightons, who continued to reside there till the commencement of the last century. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The charities are only 10s. yearly. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The area is 2,400a. 3r. 1p. and the population in 1861 was 294; gross estimated rental, £3,100; rateable value, £2,913.
Wattlesborough township is partly in this parish.
Letters through Shrewsbury, arrive by messenger at 5 a.m.; dispatched at 7-30 p.m.
Chichester Rev. J. C. B.L. Rectory
Beddoes Job, tailor and draper, Wattlesborough
Bebb Thomas, farmer, Wattlesborough Castle
Bowdler Charles J. farmer
Bowdler Thomas, farmer, Windmill
Edwards John, farmer, Cardeston park
Eddowes John, tailor, Wattlesborough
Gittins Richard, farmer, Wattlesborough
Jones Whitworth, farmer, Stamford
Lee John, farmer
Llewellyn William, farmer, Ivy end
Perry Thomas, carpenter, Wattlesboro’
Phillips Edw. stone mason, Wattlesboro’
Phillips Geo. carpenter, Wattlesborough
Pugh John, farmer, Bretchel
Rogers Samuel, shopkeeper, Wattlesborough
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871