Last Updated on
Allensmore is a populous parish, containing, in 1851, 670 inhabitants, distant 4 miles south-west from Hereford, 1 ½ north-west from Tram Inn railway station, on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line, 13 west-north-west from Ross, and 148 ¼ from London. This parish is in the Webtree Hundred, Hereford Union, archdeaconry, deanery, and bishopric; situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Abergavenny and Ross, which intersects the parish. The church of St. Andrew, is an old stone building, in the Gothic style, having a nave, aisle, chancel, porch, and square tower containing a peal of six bells. The living is a discharged vicarage, with residence and two acres of glebe land, the latter of which was lately granted by the ecclesiastical commission. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, also a Charity school for boys and girls. The soil is gravel, and subsoil marl, and consists of 1,960 acres. The rateable value of this parish is £2,635 6s. 6d.
Hungerstone is distant 1 mile from the village of Allensmore.
Winnall and Cobhall are small villages. Mere Court was the residence of a respectable family of the name of Wathen, for upwards of two centuries. The remains of a moat still surround the building, which is a farmhouse.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.
Baker, Rev. F.
Brisland James, tailor
Dean Elijah Hy., land proprietor, Winnall villa
Davis Mr. Richard
Faulkner James, smith
Herrington W., Cherry Tree Inn
Johnson John, wheelwright
Jones James, tailor
Lambert John, shoemaker
Lawrence James, shoemaker
Mattey J., smith
Neat Henry, shopkeeper, Cobhall com
Pateshall Mrs. B.
Preece Richard, cooper
Sayce John, maltster, Cobhall com
Williams Eleanor, maltster, Cobhall com
Baynham Robert, Wood st.
Beavan Thomas, Winnall
Beavan Thomas, junr., Mawfield
Blashill Robert, Mawfield
Carpenter Edward, Cobhall
Davis S., Church house
Davis Wm., Winnall
Fluck William, Gethenfield farm
Merrick William, Meerpool
Partridge Mrs. Ann, Traphouse
Lewis James, Mere Court
Powell George, Winnall common
Powell James, Winnall
Powell Thomas, Winnall court
Powell William, New buildings
Watkins William, Winnall
Wilde Ann, Winnall
Wesleyan & Primitive Methodists Chapels, no stated ministers.
Charity School, (for boys and girls), Mrs. Eliza Brisland, mistress
Carriers, (passing Through):-
Garrett, from Turnastone to Hereford, Wed. & Saturdays, returns same days
Pritchard, from Abbey Dore to Hereford, Wed. and Saturdays, returns same day
Steele from Ewais Harold to Hereford, Wed. and Saturdays, returns same days.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.