Clive is a village and chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary, Shrewsbury, one mile and a half from Yorton station on the London and North Western Railway, eight miles from Shrewsbury, and three south from Wem, in the Southern division of the county, Albrighton division of Brimstree hundred, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield, one mile east of the road from Shrewsbury to Wem and Chester. The chapel of All Saints’ is an old stone building, and was partially restored in 1849. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £111, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Shrewsbury Grammar school. Here is an Independent chapel; also one for the Primitive Methodists. About half a mile south of the village are extensive freestone quarries. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mostly sand; subsoil, stone. The area is 1,444 acres, and the population in 1861 was 302. Gross estimated rental, £3,159; rateable value, £2,938.
Letters through Shrewsbury. Letters from Holbrook and Shooter’s Hill through Wem.
Gardner Robert, esq., J.P.
Harding George, esq., Clive hall
Massey Mrs., Clive Wood
Welch Rev. Henry Forster (vicar)
Cank Samuel, stone mason, quarry owner, builder, and contractor
Davis John, wheelwright
Done John, builder and contractor
Garner Robert, farmer
Huffa George, blacksmith
Jones William, farmer
Jones William, stone mason, monument engraver, and quarry owner
Massey James H., farmer, Wood
Northwood John, farmer
Parker Thomas, cattle dealer & farmer
Parr Joseph, shopkeeper
Phillips William, shopkeeper
Puleston Francis, farmer and land owner
Smith Richard, stone mason, monument engraver, and quarry owner, Bank house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871