Culmington Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871



Culmington is a parish, consisting of the townships of Culmington, Sieton [sic], Bache, Norton, and Burley, five miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of All Saints’ is a small plain building.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of W. J. Clement, Esq.; the tithes are commuted at £685 yearly, with residence, and about 40 acres of glebe land.  At the Doomsday survey Earl Roger held Comintine, which Edric held before the Conquest.  It was for some time held by the same lord, and included in the same tenure as the castle of Corfham.  King Henry II. gave Culmington to Walter de Clifford, and it was afterwards carried in marriage to William Longspe, who, being overthrown in a tournament, is stated to have died of grief in the flower of his age.  His widow married Sir John Giffard, who procured a charter of free warren for his lands here, and died possessed of them in the 27th of Edward I.  It afterwards passed to the L’Estranges, and then to the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury.  There is an old Roman camp, called Norton camp.  Edward Wood, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and John Derby Allcroft, Esq., are the principal landowners.  The soil is gravelly and loamy; subsoil, gravel and sandstone.  The area is 3,435 acres, and the population in 1861 was 517; gross estimated rental, £5,402; rateable value, £4,558.
Letters through Bromfield.

Culmington
Preece Mr. John, Langley cottage
Wood Edward, esq., Manor house
Anslow Elizabeth, blacksmith
Beddoes James, farmer
Botfield William, shoe maker, and registrar of births and deaths
Cadwallader John, Royal Oak Inn
James Thomas, wheelwright
Lockhart James, farmer
Lockhart James, junr., farmer
Morris William, farmer
Passey William, farmer, Medley park

Siefton
William Rev. Alfred, M.A., Rectory
Williams Rev. Frederick Mackenie, M.A.
Davies John, farrier
Holbeche George, schoolmaster and deputy registrar
Instone Henry, farmer
Lander Eaton, farmer, New house
Leighton Samuel, shopkeeper and shoe maker

Bache
Bassett Edward, farmer
Tarte Herbert, farmer

Norton
Bach Richard, farmer
Bromley Isabella, farmer

Burley
Barker Timothy, blacksmith
Moyle John, wheelwright
Rickards John, cooper
Whiteman Richard, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871