Last Updated on
Easthope is a parish and village, eight and a half miles east from Church Stretton, five from Wenlock, and ten from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of Munslow hundred, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter is an old rubble and stone building, and was repaired about 1852. The living is a rectory, yearly value £99, with residence and 36 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Moses G. Benson, Esq. A Sunday school was built in 1857 by Mrs. Benson, of Lutwyche Hall, and dedicated to St. Philip in memory of her son Philip Riou, who was lost at sea in that memorable catastrophe, the sinking of the “London.” There is a British encampment on Mogg or Mocktree, Forest, said to be one of the last defended by Caractacus. Moses George Benson, Esq., J. P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is limey; the subsoil is clay. The area is 814 acres, and the population in 1861 was 109; gross estimated rental, £889; rateable value, £836.
Post office. – Edward Evans, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wellington through Much Wenlock at 9 15 a. m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.
Benson Moses George, esq. J.P. Lutwyche hall
Cross Rev. Silas, B.A. Rectory
Dudley William, wheelwright, Hill top
Edwards John, blacksmith, Hill top
Evans Richard, shoe maker
Meredith John, farmer
Morris Joseph, farmer, Easthope wood
Philpott Edward Samuel and Thomas, farmers and millers
Porter Richard, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871