Eaton Constantine Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871



Eaton Constantine is a parish and village, 8 miles from Shrewsbury, and 5 from Wellington, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Mary is a neat Gothic stone building, and was rebuilt in 1848. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £192, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland. There is a school near the church. There are charities of about £4 yearly value. The Duke of Cleveland is the lord of the manor and principal land owner. The soil is partly clay and gravel; subsoil, various. The area is 875 acres, and the population is 1861 was 242; gross estimated rental, £1,465 ; rateable value, £1,359.
Letters are received though Wellington.

Beckwith Rev. Henry, M.A. Rectory
Dalloe Samuel, carpenter
Hill Edward, shoe maker
Jones George, shopkeeper
Jones Richard, wheelwright, Longwood
Moris John, blacksmith, Longwood
Shepherd Elizabeth, farmer, Longwood
Smith Richard, grocer, &c.
Smith Zachariah Garland, farmer, Ranslett house
Thomas Robert, farmer
Ward Thomas, carpenter and builder

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871