Edstaston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871



Edstaston, with the township of Cotton, is an ecclesiastical parish and pleasant village, 2 miles north-west from Wem. The church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, is an ancient building, having three Norman doorways, and on the south side a handsome stained glass window. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £160, in the gift of the rector of Wem. At Pool head is a Primitive Methodist chapel. A branch from the Ellesmere Canal passes through this township. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Edward Chamberlain, Vernon Dolphin, W.C. Kirby, Samuel Job, and H.J. Barker, Esqrs., and Messrs. Boote and Walmsley. The soil varies; the subsoil is sand and clay. The area of the parish is 2,018 ¼ acres. Cotton is four miles north-north-east from Wem. The township contains about 1,704 acres. The principal landowners are Viscount Hill and Miss Bowen.
Letters arrive from Wem.

Edstaston.
Poole Mr. George W.
Ryley Samuel, esq.
Bebbington Thomas, farmer
Boote Daniel, farmer
Cliff Maria, shopkeeper
Darlington Joseph, Canal tavern
Darlington William, farmer
Groom George, tailor
Holbrook W., shopkeeper
Howard Wm. farmer
Matthews John, farmer, Rye bank
Moseley John, farmer
Newbrook William, farmer
Rogers Thomas, smith
Sands John, carpenter, &c.
Shuker Abraham, farmer
Sidney William, farmer
Symonds Sarah, shopkeeper
Taylor Wm. farmer, Pepper street
Titley Jacob, Harp Inn
Weston Wm. shopkeeper
Wilkinson George, farmer
Withington Elizabeth, farmer Fox holes

Cotton.
Bowen Miss, Colton hall
Whitehurst John, esq., Cotton grove
Amson Wm. Bull and Dog Inn
Ashley James, grocer, &c.
Ashley Thomas, farmer
Batho Thomas, farmer, Woodend hall
Batho William, farmer
Buckley William, farmer
Cartwright Thomas, farmer
Cotton Thomas, farmer
Crosbie Thomas, farmer
Dickin William, butcher
Hall Rd., shoe maker
Hooson Charles, farmer
Moseley William, farmer
Jones James, farmer
Ikin Moses, farmer Rookery farm
Williams John, farmer
Williams Wm., smith, Cotton wood

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871