Hadnall Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871
Hadnall, or Hadnall Ease, is a village and ecclesiastical parish, and station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North Western Railway, about 5 miles from Shrewsbury, and 168 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division of Brimstree hundred, Ellesmere union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church is a handsome stone building, consisting of nave, with a square tower. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £170, in the gift of the rector of Middle. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor. J. J. Bibby and John W. Ward, Esqs., are the principal landowners. The charities amount to about £23 yearly. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and peat. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The parish contains 800 acres; the population in 1861 was 456; gross estimated rental, £5,096; rateable value, £4,743.
Letters arrive through Shrewsbury at 5 0 a.m.; dispatched at 7 55 p.m.
Railway Station, John Peers, station master.
Bibby James Jenkinson, esq. Hardwick
Mortimer Rev. Brooke Cunliffe
Robinson Rev. George, Smethcote
Ward John W. esq.
Bayley Thomas and Son, tailors and woollen drapers
Blantern George, farmer, Haston
Breeze William, farmer, Haston
Davies Robert, farm steward
Dickenson C. T. beer retailer
Evans John, farmer
Gittins Samuel, farmer
Groome John, farmer, Smethcote
Haycocks John grocer
Heath Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Heath Miss, grocer, &c.
Jacks Richard, butcher
Leech Richard, farmer
Payne Thomas, farmer
Penlington George, Saracen’s Head inn
Powell Richard, wheelwright, carpenter and builder
Powell Thomas, farmer, Painsbrook
Spence James George, coal and lime merchant, Railway wharf
Woodall William painter
Williams Richard, parish clerk, &c.
Wycherley Thomas, blacksmith, and horse shoer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871