Last Updated on
Halford is an ecclesiastical parish and village, 20 miles south from Shrewsbury, half a mile from the Craven Arms station, and 8 miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church is a very old building; it was repaired in 1848. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £40, with residence and 4 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the representative of the late Baroness Windsor. Here is a Free school for boys and girls. The charities are of £3 yearly value. The representative of the late Baroness Windsor are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The coil is clayey loam; subsoil, limestone. The population in 1868 was 141; the area is 1,062 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,420; rateable value, £1,209.
Dinchope is a township in this parish.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Lumb Rev. Wm. Eedson, M.A. Vicarage
Everall Thomas, farmer
Lambe Thomas, blacksmith Newington
Marston Richard, farmer and miller
Beddoes John, farmer
Cocks John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871