Harley is a parish and village, 2 miles from Much Wenlock, 10 from Shrewsbury, and 10 from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Mary is a stone building; the nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1846, at an expense of nearly £1,000, raised by public subscriptions. The living is a rectory, yearly value £270, with residence and 48 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland. The charities are £20 yearly value. The Duke of Cleveland, who is also lord of the manor, and James Milnes Gaskell, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is gravely and clayey. The population in 1861 was 220; the area is 1,955 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,100; rateable value, £1,963.
Letters arrive from Wellington through Much Wenlock at 7 30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 50 p.m.
Greenham Rev. William, B.A. Rectory
Burley John, farmer
Cartwright Edward, farmer, Rowley
Cartwright Richard, farmer
Corfield Edward, farmer, Blakeway
Gwynn Thomas, wheelwright
[Hengoed see Sellattyn.] Horton George, farmer
Maddox John, farmer and miller
Roberts Robert, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871