Last Updated on
Linley is a parish and small village, 2 ½ miles from Broseley, and 4 from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, in Wenlock parliamentary and municipal borough, Madeley union, and Hereford diocese; situated rear the river Severn. The church of St. Leonard is a plain old building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £5, annexed to that of Broseley, with half an acre of glebe land. Lord Forester, who is lord of the manor, and John Stephens, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is red marl and clay; subsoil, clay and sandstone. The population in 1861 was 94; the area is 636 acres; gross estimated rental, £831; rateable value, £784.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.
Severn Valley Railway Station, Joseph Pugh, station master.
Lowndes William Layton, esq. J.P. Linley hall
Stanyer Mr. Thomas
Franks William, bricklayer and mason
Gwilliam Thomas, farmer, Hems
Harper Edward, gardener
Longmore Jsh. wheelwright & blacksmith
Stephens Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871