Lydham is a parish, with the township of Aston, two miles from Bishop’s Castle, and eight from Marsh Brook station, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building. The living is a rectory, yearly value £163, with residence and 40 acres of glebe land. Capt. Henry Oakley, J.P., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil clay, sand and gravel. The population of the township in 1861 was 143; the area is 1,943 acres. The gross estimated rental of the parish is £2,396; rateable value, £2, 196.
Aston is a township in Lydham parish, in Montgomery union, Montgomeryshire, with 1,125 acres, and a population in 1861 of 62.
Letters are received through Bishop’s Castle.
Green Rev. Frederick, Roveries
Oakley Capt. Henry, J.P. Oakley house
Blakemore Ferdinand, farmer & miller
Davies William, farmer
Holl Richard, farmer
Parkes Edmund, farmer, Lodge farm
Roberts John, farmer, Lower Heblands
Rogers Edward, blacksmith
Williams John, farmer, Newton
Davies Edward, farmer, Aston hall
Kilbert Thomas, farmer, Upper Aston
Morris Charles, farmer
Price Thomas, farmer, Pentreewn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871