Last Updated on

Cynynion is an ecclesiastical district, in the hundred and incorporation of Oswestry, and diocese of St. Asaph, three and a half miles south-west from Oswestry.  It is contiguous to Denbighshire.  The church, situated at Rhydcroesan, is a small stone fabric, with tower.  The living is a rectory, annual value £120, with residence, and nine acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph.  A school, in the Gothic style, was built by subscription in 1850, and is supported by voluntary contributions.  Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner.  The soil is clay; subsoil, partly on the lime rock.  The area is 760 acres, and the population in 1861 was 328.

Letters are received through Oswestry.

Williams Rev. Robert, M.A., Rectory
Evans Ann, Cross Foxes Inn
Evans John, shopkeeper and tailor
Evans Robert, butcher, Lawnt
Evans Robert, farmer, Pandy
Griffiths John, farmer, Lawnt
Hughes Thomas, lime works
Jones Ann, lime works, Lawnt
Jones Stephen, farmer
Lloyd Ann, farmer
Morris Alfred, farmer
Owens Edward, farmer
Roberts Robert, farmer
Thomas Thomas, farmer
White Edward, farmer
Williams Rev. Robert, boarding school

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871