Quatt is a parish, comprising the townships of Quatt Malvern and Quatt Jervis, 132 miles from London, four from Bridgnorth, and nine from Kidderminster railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth borough, and diocese of Lichfield; it is bounded by the Severn to the west. The church of St. Andrew is a venerable fabric of free stone and brick, in good repair. The living is a rectory, yearly value £430, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Francis H. Wolryche Whitmore, M.A. Here is the South-Eastern Shropshire District school, for children belonging to the several unions of Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer, Madeley, and Seisden; it is capable of accommodating 220 children; here is also a parish school. About four miles from Quatt are the remains of a Roman camp, called the Walls. Dudmaston Hall, the seat of the Rev. Francis H. Wolryche Whitmore, M.A., is neat mansion of brick and stone. The Rev. Francis H. Wolryche Whitmore, M.A., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The charities amount to about £12 yearly. The soil varies from extreme light sand to strong clay; the subsoil is similar. The area is 2,674 acres, and the population of the parish in 1861 was 485; gross estimated rental, £4,146; rateable value, £3,876.
Letters through Bridgnorth arrive at 8 25 a.m.; and dispatched at 5 15 p.m.
Collector of Taxes, William Walling.
Carr Misses, Rectory
Homer Thos. Keelinge, esq., Elm cott
Spence Mrs., Dudmaston hall
Whitmore Rev. Francis H. Wolryche, M.A., J.P.
Bache William, farmer, Mose
Bowen Thomas, farmer, Wootton
Brewster Richard and Sidney, farmers, Mose
Craig Mary, farmer, Wootton
Duthie Adam Gordon, farmer
Fisher George, artificial manure manuf
Gorton Edward, gardener
Higton Charles, saddler
Howell Joseph, wood ranger
Ireland John Smith, farmer, Dudmaston lodge
Jones Edward, farmer, Lye hall
Littleford John, farmer, Mose
Roden John James, blacksmith
Spence Andrew and Charles, farmers, Little Holt
Spence Chas., steward to the trustees of the late W. W. Whitmore, esq.
Walling Wm., grocer and collector of land, income, and assessed taxes
Wilson Sarah, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.