Last Updated on

Chelmarsh is a parish and village, with the hamlets of Hempton and Sutton, 4 miles south-south-east from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the west side of the river Severn.  The church of St. Peter is an old building.  The living is a vicarage, now returned at £236 yearly, with residence and 24 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir J. G. S. Sebright, Bart.  The rectorial tithes are commuted for £369 3s of which £358 are paid to Sir J. G. S. Sebright, Bat., and £11 3s., to Mr. Edward Hughes.  There is a National school, built in the year 1850.  William Nichols, Esq., who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Gwyn, A. Weir, Esq., and Mr. Edward Hughes, are chief landowners.  The soil is a strong loam; the subsoil in some parts is sandstone.  The population in 1861 was 564, and the area is 3,126 acres; gross estimated rental, £4,276; rateable value, 33,978.
Hempton is a hamlet, about two miles from Chelmarsh church.
Sutton is a hamlet, about 1 mile from Chelmarsh.
Post Office. – George Dudley, sub-postmaster.  Letters arrive from Bridgnorth at 7-30 a.m.; dispatched at 5-5 p.m.

Chelmarsh.
Blathwayt Rev. Charles Welfitt, M.A.
Buchanan Mrs. Chelmarsh hall
Gwyn Mrs. Astbury hall
Leicester Rev. John Augustus, M.A.
Blakeway Edward, farmer
Bowen Thomas, bricklayer
Breakwell Edmund, farmer, Woodlands
Dodd Richard, farmer, New house
Draper John, shopkeeper
Dutton Fredk. beer retailer, Commons
Elcock George, carpenter
Elcock Wm. farmer, Hodge Nichols
Fox John, farmer
Gittins Richard, farmer
Lloyd Edward, shopkeeper
Page John, blacksmith
Parrish Richard, farmer, Uplands
Reeve Thomas, farmer, Spadeley
Rudd Richard, farmer
Scoffham Henry Francis, beer retailer
Warder Richard Evans, farmer, Chelmarsh Hall farm

Hempton.
Detton William, tailor
Hughes Edward, farmer and landowner
Lee Edward, farmer
Pope Edward, farmer
Porter Thos. ferryman, Hempton’s load
Sibley Chas. Unicorn Inn, Hempton’s load
Stonyer John, miller

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871