Benthall – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871
Benthall is a parish, 1 mile west from Broseley, and 4 miles north-east from Much Wenlock; it is bounded by the river Severn on the north, and is in the Southern division of the county, Wenlock franchise, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Bartholomew is an old stone building, it contains some monuments to the Browne and Benthall families. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £90, in the gift of the vicar of Wenlock. The charities are £15 yearly. Here are Benthall and Haybrook potteries, which are extensive; Rockingham and stone ware manufactories, conducted by the Benthall Pottery Company; also an encaustic tile manufactory, conducted by the Messrs. Maw. Bordering on the River Severn Tyke’s Nest, the highest point of Wenlock Edge, terminates here; it is 417 feet above the surface of the river Severn. Lord Forester is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The charities are of the yearly value of £18. The soil is a mixture of clay and gravel; the minerals are limestone, ironstone, and coal. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and beans. The population in 1861 was 499; the area is 1,196 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,953; rateable value, £1,824.
Letters received through Broseley.
Allen Mr. William
Maw George, esq., Benthall hall
Potts Edward Bagnell, esq., Benthall ho
Benthall Pottery Co., William Allen, manager
Burton John and Edward, firebrick makers, barge owners, and farmers
Cartwright Henry, Leopard
Duckett John, basket maker
Gother Geo., Britannia, cabinet maker, &c.
Instone John, blacksmith
Jones Warren Taylor, relieving officer
Maw and Co., mosaic and encaustic tile makers
Roberts Thomas, New Inn
Roden Edward, miller and farmer
Shaw Richard, coal miner and farmer
Watson Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871