Last Updated on
Quatford is a parish and suburb of Bridgnorth, with the township of Eardington, one mile and a half from Bridgnorth, and 11 ½ from Shifnal and Kidderminster station, in the Southern division of the county, Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the turnpike road from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster, on the river Severn. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an old stone building. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £60, with residence and seven acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Sudeley. There is a National school, endowed with £5 per annum. The charities are of £9 yearly value. Situated on a picturesque rock overhanging the river Severn is an earthwork, in which a party of Danes are said to have passed the winter. Quatford Castle is a modern building, beautifully situated. Lord Sudeley is lord of the manor. The Rev. Edward Griffith, M.A., the trustees of Careswell’s Charity, and the Rev. Francis Henry Wolryche Whitmore, are chief landowners. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is red sandstone. The population in 1861 was 228, exclusive of Eardington; the area is 514 acres; gross estimated rental, exclusive of Eardington, £1,090; rateable value, £996.
Eardington is a village and township, separated from Quatford by the Severn; it belongs ecclesiastically to Quatford parish, and was given to the church of Quatford in the time of William the Conqueror. It is situated on the highway from Bridgnorth to Chelmarsh, two miles from the former. There is no church; the inhabitants cross in a free ferry boat to Quatford church. There is a National school, capable of accommodating 70 children. There are extensive iron refining works, celebrated for making the best charcoal wire, horse nail and gun iron. Lord Sudeley is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Oldbury, J. Pitman, Esq., and T. Walker, Esq. The area is 1,299 acres, and the population in 1861 was 370; gross estimated rental, £3,192; rateable value, £2,988.
Knowle Sands is a hamlet.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth; arrive 7 20 a.m.; dispatched 5 50 p.m.
Griffith Rev. Edward, M.A., Quatford castle
Halstead Herbert, esq., Chantry
Postlethwaite Rev. John, M.A., Village green
Shepheard Major-Genl., Quatford house
Sheppard, Misses, Fir grove
Davis John, Fox inn
Hudson William, The Danery
Jones Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Payne Abraham Thomas, grocer
Poole John, farmer, Thorney bank
Tompkins Thomas, farm bailiff to Wm. Sing, esq.
Turley Richard, ferryman
Angeworth Mrs., Eardington house
Cooper Jon. Henry, esq., Knowle sands
Wasey Rev. William George Leigh, M.A., [vicar], Knowle sands
Allendar John, clerk to the Eardington charcoal iron &c. works
Baker Thomas, farmer
Baker Thomas, jun., farmer, The Hay
Baldwin William, farmer
Bradney Thomas, Halfway House inn
Fowler William, Crown inn
Fryer Edward, blacksmith
Harley Thomas, shoe maker
Jackson Thomas Augustine, manager of Eardington charcoal iron wire manufactory, Lower forge, and at Hampton road
Jarratt James, butcher
Lawley William, maltster
Lloyd Thomas, boot and shoe maker and grocer
Minshall John, miller
Nokes Samuel, farmer
Rhodes Edward, farmer, Knowle sands
Thomas George, miller, Daniels mill
Walker James, beer retailer
Weaver William Henry, farmer, Moor farm
Wheeler George, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.