ACTON ROUND is a parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford. The church is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1850. The living is a vicarage, value £65 yearly, in the gift of Lord Acton. The charities consist of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton. Acton Round Hall is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of the vicar. Lord Acton, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Wenlock, are the principal landowners. The Timplars were introduced into Shropshire by the Fitz-Alms, lords of Acton Round; they are known to have built round churches. Sir Thomas Boteler, vicar of Much Wenlock, about the middle of the 16th century, says, that “the chapell of Acton Round was sometyme round like a temple.” The population in 1861 was 173 ; the area is 1,940 acres. Gross estimated rental, £1,854 ; rateable value, £1,760.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth
Gibson Rev. John, m.a., The Hall
Ainsworth Ann, farmer and miller
Dorrall Richard, farmer, Shirlett
Pointon Edward, farmer, Kite’s nest
Preen Edward, farmer, Shirlett
Wadlow Joseph, farmer, Hall farm
Weaver J., farmer, Shirlett
Wicks Richard, farmer, Shirlett
Wyer Richard, farmer, Monkhall grange
Farmer George Webster, farmer, Muckley cross
Meredith William, farmer
Powell Francis, Wheelwright
Wellings Richard, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.